Resources for WASH professionals
Sanitap: an evaluation of the impact on health
Detailed analysis of the health impact that could occur if 10,000 SaniTaps were distributed in different regions of the world. Includes calculations based on the methodology set out in 'What Can Hand Hygiene Do For The World?' by K. Greenland, S. Cairncross and V. Curtis
This high-level product summary document captures the core benefits, product features and resulting impacts of the SaniTap.
This two-page infographic succinctly illustrates the key SaniTap USPs and includes useful 'How It Works' guidelines using both illustrations and photography.
Publications and studies related to handwashing
1. Katie Greenland, Sandy Cairncross and Val Curtis, What can hand hygiene do for the world?, Environmental Health Group, Department of Disease Control, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, WC1E 7HT, London, United Kingdom October 2012
2. Hussain, F., Hardy, C., Zekele, Lemele,. Clatworthy, D., Blanton, Curtis., and Handzel, T., 'A pilot study of a portable hand washing station for recently displaced refugees during an acute emergency in Benishangul-Gumuz Regional State, Ethiopia, 2015, Conflict and Health, 9:26
3. Curtis, V. and S. Cairncross, Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhoea risk in the community: a systematic review. Lancet Infect Dis, 2003. 3(5): p. 275-81.
4. Rabie T. and V. Curtis, Handwashing and risk of respiratory infections: a quantitative systematic review. Trop Med Int Health, 2006. 11(3): p. 258-67.
5. Luby, S.P., et al., Effect of handwashing on child health: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 2005. 366(9481): p. 225-33.
6. Ensink, J. Health impact of handwashing with soap. WELL Factsheets, 2004.
7. Blencowe, H., et al., Clean birth and postnatal care practices to reduce neonatal deaths from sepsis and tetanus: a systematic review and Delphi estimation of mortality effect. BMC Public Health, 2011. 11 Suppl 3: p. S11.
8. Hussain, F., Evaluation of Portable Hand Washing Stations for Emergency Settings, Protecting Health and Building Capacity Globally, Fall 2014, Issue 16
9. *Biran, A., Schmidt, W.-P., Wright, R., Jones, T., Seshadri, M., Isaac, P., Curtis, V et al., The effect of a soap promotion and hygiene education campaign on handwashing behaviour in rural India: a cluster randomized trial, 2009,Tropical Medicine and International Health 14(10), 1303-1314
10. Burton M, Cobb E, Donachie P, Judah G, Curtis V, Schmidt WP., The effect of handwashing with water or soap on bacterial contamination of hands, 2011, Int J Environ Res Public Health 8(1):97-104. Epub Jan 6
11. *Curtis V, Schmidt W, Luby S, Florez R, Touré O, Biran A., Hygiene: new hopes, new horizons, 2011, Lancet Infect Dis. Apr;11(4):312-21.
Take action today...
Work for an NGO and want further information on SaniTap? Simply get in touch below and we'll help provide tailored information and materials to support your tender or application.
We're always looking for new partnerships with like-minded organisations. If you think we have a unique opportunity to work together please don't hesitate to get in touch.